Training and Research
Training the health workforce of the future for rural communities
Trafalgar Medical is an accredited GP training practice with Eastern Victoria GP Training, Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria and Monash University. We host medical students, junior doctors and GP registrars. Many of our alumni are now providing medical services in rural areas.
In 2009, Dr James Brown won the Australian Medical Educator of the Year Award and in 2014 received a Medal of the Order of Australia for service to medical education and to the community. He was acknowledged for his work in developing national GP training programs and resources.
GP Registrars are training doctors that have made a commitment to be a general practitioner, they are part of the Australian General Training Practice Program.
Community based research that will contribute to quality primary health care and education
Building research capacity and activity in primary health care service delivery and education is a priority of Trafalgar Medical. We regularly participate in and sometimes lead, research projects contributing to advancing primary health care and education.
Research projects include:
– The ASPREE Study: ASPREE (ASPirin in Reducing Events in the Elderly)
– Enabling the rural academic practice
– Ad hoc supervisory encounters between GP-supervisors and GP-registrars: Enhancing quality and effectiveness
– Extending Supervisory and Educational Capacity: Web Based Supervision, Clinical Teaching Visits and Workshop Attendance in Rural GP Training
– Leading the Rebirth of the Rural GP Obstetrician
– Learning Planning in General Practice Vocational Training
– Interns in rural general practice: Supervision and the development of independence and identity
– GP supervisors as clinicians and educators: Developing and maintaining multiple professional identities
– Review of models of GP vocational training and education in Australia and internationally
– Feedback exchanges, supervisory relationships and the educational alliance: implications for GP registrar and supervisor training and support